If you’re sick of doing Price to Earnings Ratio (P/E Ratio) calculations by hand and spending tons of time manually entering data, then check out this Excel hack.
Before you can pull the P/E Ratio, you will need to follow the following steps:
- Create a free Intrinio account by signing up here.
- Take a trial, or subscribe, to either/or both of the following Intrinio data feeds: US Fundamentals or US Sector and Industry.
- Download and install the free Excel Add-In. For help with downloading/installing the add-in, check out the Excel Tutorial.
Calculating P/E Ratio
Now, in just three steps, you will be able to pull the P/E Ratio using the API Explorer and the Excel Add-In.
- Go to the P/E Ratio data tag page.
- Scroll down to the API Explorer and copy the formula by clicking the notepad icon.
- Paste the function into the Excel sheet, change the company ticker to the cell in which the ticker is written, for instance, on the example below, “AAPL” was changed to be A2. This will allow you to update a whole list of tickers without manually changing the ticker on each formula.
How Intrinio Calculates P/E Ratio
Our P/E Ratio is calculated by using the close price, over the net income, divided by weighted average diluted shares outstanding.
Additional P/E Ratio Calculations
Check out our P/E Calculation video tutorial to also learn how to:
- Compare your calculations with our P/E Ratio calculation
- Calculate a real-time P/E Ratio
- Calculate a historical P/E Ratio