A dividend stock is a great option if you’re looking to diversify your overall investment portfolio and reduce risk, whilst making your money work for you. Most stocks will pay out their dividends quarterly, with some raising the payout amount over time.
While there are a variety of ways to keep track of your dividend stock, in this post, we’ll focus on Excel. Specifically, we’re going to focus on utilizing Intrinio’s free Excel Add-In, which allows you to pull in a variety of dividend records such as the amount of latest dividend, the dividend yield, dividend payout ratio, and more.
Before you can create your dividend stock portfolio, you will need to follow the following steps:
- Create a free Intrinio account by signing up here.
- Take a trial, or subscribe, to either/or both of the following Intrinio data feeds: US Fundamentals or US Sector and Industry. Additionally, for some dividend stock records, you will need a subscription to Wall Street Horizon Corporate Events.
- Download and install the free Excel Add-In. For help with downloading/installing the add-in, check out the Excel Tutorial.
Pulling Dividend Stock Records
Now, in just four steps, you will be able to create a dividend stock portfolio that automatically updates with the latest data, using the API Explorer and the Excel Add-In.
- Go to the Intrinio data tag page and search ‘dividend’
- Scroll down to the API Explorer and copy the formula by clicking the notepad icon
- Paste the function into the excel sheet, change the company ticker to the cell in which the ticker is written, for instance, on the example below, “AAPL” was changed to be A3. This will allow you to update a whole list of tickers without manually changing the ticker on each formula.
- Repeat step 3 for the remaining dividend stock records that you’re interested in tracking.
Interested in learning more?
If you’d like to learn how to include historical dividend stock records in your portfolio, be sure to check out our Quick and Easy Dividend Records in Excel video tutorial (and many others) on our YouTube channel!